There is much confusions about at Importing a UK car to Spain at the moment with Brexit UK cars and residency. Will there be taxes, will not there not be taxes, what will the taxes be if any? At the time of writing in our area (11/02/2021) we now have clarification of ‘present rules’ we cannot guarantee these will not change in the near future. However, if they do we will be the first to know regards UK car import taxes. If you are bringing a car that is in the UK at present this is much easier and contact us. UK cars already here it has become more tricky.
**Important Update 23/04: We are in talks as we speak with the DGT, and Tax office about the confusion of what may or may not be accepted to waive import duty and IVA taxes. This article will be updated and a Video will be posted next week.
All UK cars will need a DUA (import) certificate?
In January of 2021 and after deliberation, UK cars were to be asked for more documentation than previously before the 31st of December 2020 (Brexit) The UK is now considered a “third country” in Spain and the EU and as a result the way UK cars are matriculated onto Spanish plates has changed.
However, good news has literally just arrived and for the time being “Andalucia” have decided to do things slightly differently than most of the other autonomous regions. Andalucia have not requested additional paperwork which alleviates the need for a DUA (import) certificate. The vehicle needs to fit the following criteria to enable a pretty much pre Brexit business as usual Spanish matriculation.
- The vehicle has to have EU type approval on the V5 doc (log book) Most do.
- The Vehicle was registered in the UK before brexit 31st December 2020 certificate.
In january of 2021 the DGT (Traffico) gave the news that as from the 1st of january all UK vehicles needed to provide a DUA (import) certificate. This document gives proof that the vehicle has passed through customs. The DGT stated that there would be no tax to pay regardless as a Brexit free trade deal had been reached. That said, we know of many instances that customs were charging 31% in both VAT and duty at the point of entry. This is 31% of what they deem is the book value of the vehicle. HOWEVER….
Good News .. Proving your UK vehicle was in Spain before Brexit
Progress and great news is that in Andalucia if we can prove that your car was in the country before the 31st of December we can for the time being process the matriculation on to Spanish plates without the DUA (import customs document). This cannot be a picture of the car outside your property etc, we need solid proof. Imagine you are the DGT agent and he is signing of the Spanish matriculation.
Proof would need to be in the form of pre 31st December 2020
- Green (temporary plates) plates
- An ITV test
- Traffic Fines
- Travel Documents including Ferry or Eurotunnel
- Maintenance or mechanics bills and facturas
- Anything you have that can prove the vehicle was here before the 31st December 2020
We cannot guarantee the decision that proof has been made. This decision lies with the DGT.
Importing a UK To Spain
Make sure that your that your import agent has the correct DUA certificate prior to shipping. They can sort this for you. If not, the vehicle may get taxed at point of entry into Spain (31% of the book price of the vehicle) This can and should be avoided by your importer. Should you need a quote for importing your car to Spain then please contact us.
We can help with importing a UK car to Spain and we can also ensure the possibility of being able to waive car import taxes for residency applications.
Waiving Import & Emissions Taxes on UK Cars for residency
If you are Importing a UK car in Spain and you are in the process of, or just taking residency then in most circumstances both import taxes and emission taxes can be waived. This will be highlighted in a FREE quote we can give you. All other norma taxes and fixed costs such as road tax in Spain, the ITV test, DGT etc will apply as normal. Basically meaning other than a DUA certificate that it is business as usual as it was before Brexit UK cars and residency. We provide residency applications as part of our service should you need it.
For taxes to be waived we need proof of:
- Residency in the last 6 months – Waives import taxes
- Residency within the last 60 days – Waives emission taxes
- You need to be on the ball with up to date Padron and paperwork for Brexit UK Cars and residency
We will check your car free – Pre ITV check
Drive your car to us in Riviera Del Sol with prior appointment, we will check your car for what might be failed for the ITV test. Headlights, tyres etc. This is a unique service we offer and we perform roughly 15 checks. A pre ITV check. Be sure to bring all paperwork with you so we can scan the paperwork if you decide you need us to get your car on Spanish plates.
Other factors to take into consideration
There are many other factors to take into account. Are the headlights adapted? Do they need realignment, does the car have a Ficha Technica, are there any other ITV fails on your car? All of this needs addressing.
- Waiving of taxes to tie into residency (there is a time limit)
- Proving the car has EU conformity and proof the car was in Spain prior to Brexit (not applicable if importing now)
- Importing a UK car to Spain
- UK car import taxes
- Free quotes in the meantime including the DUA
- Attend with you in person at the DUA (extra cost)
- A check of your vehicle FREE to see what extra costa your UK car may need
- We do the Ficha Technica required for the ITV (we can come to you if geographically sensible)
- Residency packages to tie in with importing you car to Spain
- Headlight realignment or new headlights
- ITV test booking and we do it for you
- All taxes dealt with
- Road tax dealt with
- Plates and paperwork delivered to us and we fit the plates on the car for you
- Mechanics to help pre/post ITV
- FREE retest if car fails
- Much more…….